Pages

Tuesday 21 March 2017

Jade's Pumpkin

          My Giant Pumpkin
Last year in November I planted a teeny tiny pumpkin seed. It was my Aunty’s dream to grow an enormous pumpkin. First we gave it lots of fresh water and didn’t give it special fertilizer as it was growing in a vegetable garden.
Once it started to get big we gave it a shock with some special fertilizer. We had to make sure it did not go rotten on the wet ground and had to turn it around each day. But one day the vine began to rot and my pumpkin as round as the orange sun snapped off.
I heard about a pumpkin growing competition at Mitre Ten in Whangarei, so the big bright pumpkin was put onto a trolley as it was as heavy as a baby elephant, so we carefully, cautiously packed it in the car. It looked so funny with a car safety seat belt around it.

On competition day we entered our round reddy pumpkin and “Hey Presto !!” we won with the hugest heaviest humongous pumpkin weighing 34 kilos. I won an amazing garden pack of goodies.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Jade. It is good to see young people growing vegetables. What have you done with your pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow jade I love your story and good decisions in it. I cant believe it is 34 kilos!

    ReplyDelete