Pages

Thursday 12 May 2016

Fishing Behind Mermaid Island--Josh


Fishing  Behind Mermaid Island
A long long time ago early on a freezing morning. Dad had to wake me up. “Josh wake up!” said Dad in a gentle voice. I woke up straight away. I quickly got dressed.It was freezing.Dad got the lifejackets and then we drove to Waitangi. My Dad had to reverse to get the boat into the water down the steep ramp.
Dad started the engine and we sped underneath the bridge before coming to a halt behind Mermaid Island. Dad threw out our line that was baited with special bait. I felt my line bending with the weight of the fish. I reeled it in. Zoe quickly ran to get the net. Zoe pulled it out we didn’t need to weigh it as it was a reasonable size. I said, “Wow!” I’ve caught the biggest kahawai I’ve ever caught. Zoe caught a couple of snappers but once was too small to keep.
Dad pulled up the anchor, we sped back home to the ramp, put the boat on the trailer and returned home. At dinner I was lucky enough to eat my kahawai. It was such a cool day I did not even notice the weather was so freezing. Perhaps cold freezing days are the best days to go fishing.



No comments:

Post a Comment